The broadfork is a gardening tool that is widely used in Europe and is growing in popularity in the USA. Broadforks are excellent for breaking open compacted soils deeper than with a rototiller or a spade. This tool will deeply aerate your soil, increase water percolation, and preserve soil structure. In comparison, a rototiller pulverizes soil into a fine dust that compacts and hardens after the first rains. The 12” tines are 2” longer than the main competitor’s broadforks. The Valley Oak broadfork weighs 21 lbs. making it easy to carry and maneuver in the garden than heavier broadforks. It is best to broadcast compost and soil amendments prior to broadforking, as the amendments will trickle down into the cracks. This is especially useful for rock phosphate, since phosphorus is leached very slowly.
Valley Oak Tool Co. Broadforks feature:
- ¼” Thick tempered steel tines We've put these tines to the ultimate test. Even in roots, rocks, and clay they're nearly impossible to bend.
- Weighted & Balanced For All Day Use - We designed the Valley Oak broadfork with the average gardener in mind, we could have made it bigger, but ultimately we wanted you to be able to easily use it all day.
- 12" Long Tines - The perfect length for aerating your garden soil. Tines longer than 12" make the tool hard to use for average sized gardeners.
- 1 ½" Wide Square Treadbar - Making a square treadbar (round steel is very slippery, especially in the mud) creates a more stable place for you to stand. 1 1/2" is plenty wide for your feet to be comfortable, secure, & stable
- Strong Ash Handles 1½" in Diameter - Wood is more comfortable to use than steel. It's uneffected by hot and cold, it's much easier to grip, it costs less to ship & it's much lighter. (There is a 6 Month Replacement Guarantee on the handles. After that, replacement handles are available for $15 each, or $25 for a pair, but you'll probably never need them).
- Balanced design, stout wood handles, reinforced tines, and a wider treadbar - We make a tool that is easy to handle, extremely durable, totally reliable, and far easier on your body to use.
Human powered, no smelly fumes, no jolting noise, no pollution, & it saves earthworms.
Proudly Made in the U.S.A. - Hand made in our shop in Chico, CA.
This broadfork is so easy to use after assembling. The tines went into my rocky soil with ease, and it was a pleasure to loosen the soil, rather than till it! No gas fumes coming from a tiller. Easier on the body (I'm not getting any younger!). This is a great tool.Review by Al (on 1/23/13)
I've used the all steel broadforks and this one is by far my favorite. It is easy to handle and maneuver in the garden. The construction is solid and it handled my heavy clay soil like a dream. The pointed tines are really easy to slide right into even dense soil.Review by Stephanie (on 12/11/12)