Q: Growing flax for fiber

Jun 12, 2009 -

I am interested in growing flax for fiber. I am trying to locate seed and any information on growing (in coastal southern california), harvesting and processing. This is intended to be a gardening project (and more) for a 3rd grade class. Thanks for your help!

linda Says:
Jun 12th, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Here is a great website for the information you want http://www.thelinenhouse.com/EN/AboutLinen_FromFlaxToLinen.htm.
Peaceful Valley will have this seed in the fall.

amber Says:
Jun 12th, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Hi
Well the flax Peaceful Valley sells is Linum Rubrum (Scarlet Flax) or Linum Perenne lewisii (Blue Flax)  as seeds for the flowers.  I’m not sure about the best flax to grow for fiber except I did find some info that mentioned common flax (Linum usitatissimum) as the type used for fiber for clothing etc. Here’s some good resources for growing it:

hope that helps!
amber

Mary Says:
Feb 6th, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Hi. I see it’s been awhile since you first posted this but are you still interested in info? I’ve been raising flax on and off for about 10 years (I was a textile student in college) and can tell you where I got my seed from. I can also give you some insights that I’ve picked up as I went along.

Tomoko Says:
Aug 31st, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Mary
I would like to know where to buy flax seeds for fiber flax.  Would like to plant flax and create fibers for a fifth grade class.  Thanks for any help.

Mike Says:
Sep 27th, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Mary.  I would like to grow flax in northern California.  Any info you are willing to share would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Vicki Trevisanut Says:
Oct 10th, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Mary
I as well am interested in getting flax seed that may be hardy to northern Missouri if that is possible. will be retiring soon from teaching and spending time on my farm raising any fiber plants that I can use for spinning and weaving. Do you know of any other plants that produce good fiber?

Catherine Says:
Apr 26th, 2013 at 7:48 am

I’m fairly sure that you can just use Linum usitatissimum because that is what people have been using for hundreds of years. The main difference between fiber flax and flax for seed is the harvest time. If you harvest flax for fiber, the seeds will not yet be ripe to harvest. If you harvest the flax for seed, the fiber will be too brittle to use. Its true that seeds have been engineered for extra nutrients for seed harvesters. But for fiber flax harvesters there aren’t a lot of options. So just use what we’ve been using for a very long time, Linum usitatissimum. What I would like to know if anyone can help, is where to buy organic Linum usitatissimum from seed? I hope this helped, thanks:D

Apr 26th, 2013 at 11:23 am

Catherine, We carry organic Linum usitatissimum seed http://www.groworganic.com/organic-flax-seed-lb.html Thank you for your very helpful information!