PLEASE READ THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION
When placing your bare root orders, please be aware that AS SOON as the trees/plants are available to ship (Dec. for trees, Jan. for plants), we will begin shipping IMMEDIATELY - no matter where you are located !!!
There are several factors why we must ship immediately:
- We can only ship bare root items when they are dormant. With us being located in CA, trees/plants can come out of dormancy well before the rest of the nation is ready to plant.
- We receive our bare root items in successive deliveries. We need to move them out quickly, as our space is limited.
- It is very challenging, if not impossible, to keep track of who gets what when dealing with ten's of thousands of trees/plants and 200 varieties over 3 months, hence we must adhere to our policy.
ATTENTION "POLAR VORTEX" AFFECTED CUSTOMERS
When your order arrives, you should remove it from the outside elements before nightfall. If you will not be present at the destination when the order will be delivered, you should either ship the order to another location or make sure someone will be there to take care of your order.
While your order is hardy enough to withstand freezing temperatures in its box, you definitely should not leave it outside in sub-zero temperatures for days on end.
AS IMPORTANTLY, you then need to open the box, remove the trees/plants from their plastic bag, store them in a basement, cellar or garage, covering their roots with sand, dirt, sawdust or wood chips (do not use cedar that is toxic to the trees) and keep them moist until you are able to plant them in the ground in Spring.
- Variety: Northern Highbush
- Plant Age: 2 Years
- Zones: 3-7
- Chill Hours: 1000+
- Harvest: Early season.
- Bush Habit: Open, spreading bush reaching 3'-5' tall with fiery red, orange and yellow foliage in fall.
- Fruit: Large, delicately sweet flavored berries.
- Facts of note: Patriot was selected for home gardeners who desire a cold-hardy, Northern Highbush variety that bears consistent crops. Patriot's low growing bush reflects its partial lowbush parentage. It is adaptable to many soil types and may perform better in wetter soils than many other varieties. Patriot makes an excellent container and landscape variety with its showy white blooms in the spring, dark green summer foliage, and fiery orange-red fall colors.
Delicious, exceptionally nutritious, high in bioflavanoids. Consider climate suitability, ripening season and fruit size when selecting varieties and include at least two different varieties for cross–pollination and fruiting (any two varieties will do, regardless of ripening time). Grow in acidic, well–drained soil. Cottonseed meal is an excellent fertilizer for blueberries along with good quality compost and peat moss.
Check out our Fruit Harvest Chart to plan for successive harvests.
Cannot ship to the following states: HI, AK, PR, GU, VI.
Cannot ship via USPS. Cannot ship via SmartPost.
Shipping Weight: 3.00 lbs.
Dimensions: 20"L x 3"W x 3"H
Limited Guarantee for Dormant Trees & Plants (When Planted in the Ground by April 1st)
Claim Deadline is June 1st (with the exception of persimmon trees, which have a deadline of June 15th)! Claims placed after June 1st (or June 15th for persimmon trees) will be denied.
What We Guarantee
Our only guarantee is that your dormant tree/plant will arrive in good, viable condition and will leaf out by May 15th (historically 98% of our trees do). This guarantee is only available to customers who purchased their tree/plant directly from us, and who planted their tree/plant in the ground by April 1st (or temporarily in a pot if the ground in their zone was still frozen solid).
What We Cannot Guarantee
We cannot guarantee that your tree/plant remains alive & healthy, or bears fruit, as there are too many variables beyond our control in order to do so (i.e. soil preparation, planting, fertilization, weed & pest control, adequate irrigation and/or drainage, chill hours, compatible hardiness for your zone, proper choice of pollinator, etc).
How to Request a Credit
If your tree/plant does not leaf out by May 15th, please perform a scratch test by checking for green under the bark, a few inches over the graft. If the scratch test reveals a brown cambium, that means your tree/plant is dead or dying. Watch our video titled Bare Root (Dormant) Warranty on how to perform this simple test. If the scratch test revealed that your plant is dead or dying, pull it from the ground and take pictures of the entire tree/plant, including the roots. Submit your claim & pictures by using the “Return an Item” tool on our Customer Service page (or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than June 1st (or June 15th for persimmon trees). We will review your claim and issue you a credit (not a refund) for the purchase price of your tree/plant (excluding shipping).*
(*) We reserve the right to not issue credit for items purchased with credit, or if we determine (by the pictures you provide) that your tree/plant was improperly cared for (due to root rot, rodent or mechanical damage).