- Planting & Care
- Useful Information
- Shipping Information
Vigna sinensis Warm season legume cover crop.
Great, all-around, summer cover crop. Tolerates moderate shade and can be planted in orchards and vineyards or under-sown with corn. Sets seeds in about 60 days.
- Application Rate: 2-3 lb/1000 sq ft or 30-40 lb/acre
- Inoculant: Cowpea inoculant or Garden Combination Inoculant (sold separately)
- Germination: 5-10 Days
- Plant Height: 2'
- Uses: Fixing Nitrogen (up to 250 lb per acre), increasing organic matter, and smothering summer weeds (a thick stand can out-compete Bermuda grass). Can be used for grain, hay or pasture.
- Facts to Note: Grows best on sandy loams and well-drained warm soils, but can adapt to most conditions. Will thrive on low fertility soil if the pH is between 5.5 and 6.5. Fairly drought resistant with low irrigation requirement. Red cow pea is a tender annual.
- Adds Significant Organic Matter
- Attracts Beneficial Insects
- Easily Established
- Good for Forage/Hay
- Good for Weed Competition
- Helps Control Erosion
- Loosens Heavy Soils
- Provides Quick Growth
- Requires Summer Water
- Somewhat Drought Tolerant
Shipping Weight: 1.1 lb
Dimensions: 8.0"L x 5"W x 1.5"H