- Zones: 8-9
- Chill hours: 100
- Harvest: August 10 to November 5
- Looks: Large, purplish-black skin over strawberry red flesh.
- Personality: Rich flavored fig, good fresh, dried or canned.
- Facts of note: The favorite fig variety. Heavy bearing, long-lived tree, good on coast and inland. Well adapted to California, as it originated in the Spanish missions of the Golden State.
- Pollination: Self-pollinated.
Sub-tropical, drought tolerant fruit tree. Figs are possibly the very first domesticated fruit. There is evidence of fig cultivation as early as 4,000 B.C. The sweetest figs develop when the daytime temperature regularly exceeds 95°F. Figs thrive in most soil types, as long as it's well-drained, and they will fruit in a variety of climates. They need hardly any cold period to produce fruit. Mature trees are hardy to 15°F. Will re-grow from roots if winter-killed. Trees grow to 25' tall and 40' wide if not pruned, and are really easy to train on a house, on a fence, etc. Figs need warm soil for their roots to start growing. Figs do not like to be planted as bare-roots and are difficult to establish, so we sell these No. 1 size trees (2’ to 3’) in pots to enhance their survival rate. Trees are 1 year old and should begin to fruit in same year you plant them.
Check out our Fruit Tree Harvest Chart to plan for successive harvests.
Ship up to 6 Potted Trees for Only $13.99!* *Shipping offer only available to the lower 48 states. Offer applies only to the following potted varieties: Almond, Fig, Pomegranate, Olive, Avocado trees, Kiwi Vines and Goji. Ships via FedEx Home/Ground. Cannot ship to P.O. boxes. Cannot ship to the following states: AK, HI, PR, VI, GU.
Cannot ship via SmartPost. Up to 6 potted trees may be combined in a single package, but cannot be combined with other items.
Shipping Weight: 5.50 lbs.
Dimensions: 48.25"L x 4.25"W x 4.25"H