Growing Olives in Zone 7?

By on November 30, 2012

Olive trees are so beautiful that of course gardeners in all zones want them.

USDA Zone 7 is typically considered too cold for olive trees.

But we’re gardeners, which means we want to grow beautiful trees that aren’t recommended for our zones. That goes both ways too—for every New Yorker wanting a Meyer lemon tree we have a Southern Californian longing to grow Bartlett pears.

Tricia plants an olive tree in our latest video and that probably has you fired up about the beautiful and long-lived trees, with their crop of health-giving fruit.

Here’s how to push the envelope for olives in your climate.

Classic ways to find warmth for olives in your zone

Find the warm microclimates on your property
Microclimates are the hotter and cooler parts of your landscape.

Tips for locating warm microclimates:

Up against the wall
Heat will reflect from a south or west-facing wall of your house, outbuilding or wooden fence. The stored heat from the daytime will continue to warm the tree at night, raising the temperatures by several degrees. Plant an olive near one of those structures (allowing room for mature olive tree branches and good air circulation around the tree).

Facing south or west
Garden areas that get full southern exposure are the warmest parts of the landscape. Western exposures come next as hot spots. An eastern exposure captures morning sun, but is shaded in the afternoon, so there is not enough additional heat to really create a warmer microclimate.

Higher is better
The upper part of a slope will be warmer than the lower part. Cold air heads down hills and into valleys, bringing cooler temperatures and increased potential for frost.

Choose olive varieties that are cold-tolerant

Typical olives trees will be damaged by temperatures below 17F and may not survive temperatures below 10F.

A few varieties are a bit tougher and more likely to make it through cold spells. If you’re in USDA Zone 7, we recommend Mission and Arbequina olive trees.

Baby the olive trees through cold spells

A reliable, temporary measure for protecting your olive tree in a cold spell is to use floating row cover fabric like Agribon as a shield over the tree.

An unusual cold-proofing method is suggested by the Texas Olive Council, “To protect from the cold, mound trees with about 18 inches of soil on the trunk until they reach the age of five. Soil should be mounded in November and removed in late March.”

Grow olives in containers
A sure-fire way of controlling the climate is to grow olive trees in containers (they adapt well to that life). Either seasonally, or during cold spells, move the containers under the eaves of your house, or into a structure where the olives will remain at comfortable temperatures.

With a combination of warm microclimate, a proper variety, and safeguards during cold spells you should be able to grow olives in Zone 7.

S

If I potted my olive tree and keep in a green house during the mid December until after the last freeze will I be able to grow olives in zone 6b?

Posted by Stan Kauling on Oct. 26, 2017 at 7:01:30 PM

Stan, it could work as long as your greenhouse will stay above 20°F. The tree could survive and thrive in a large pot or half wine barrel.

Posted by Suzanne at GrowOrganic.com on Oct. 27, 2017 at 2:59:28 PM

E

I have an olive I have been growing for several years in a pot in Zone 7a.  I bring it inside in a greenhouse-type area beneath my deck for each winter.  I would like to plant it out on a south facing protected wall and was thinking I could build a temporary hoophouse-like structure on the wall that I could take down each spring.  Would that possibly work?  I think it would stay warm enough but would it get too hot on warm days?  I do protect a fig in this same area each year but it is wrapped and insulated top to bottom with leaves.  I can’t do that with an olive can I - because that would be easiest?  Any thoughts

Posted by Eric Deaver on Feb. 06, 2018 at 1:03:39 PM

Eric, you may be ok with planting on a south facing location, but be careful how close you plant it to the wall, olives can get pretty good size. You may be able to get away with just wrapping the tree with a frost blanket on the coldest nights. It just depends on how cold the nights get. The most critical time would be the first year you put it out, so wrapping it is a great idea.

Posted by Suzanne at GrowOrganic.com on Feb. 09, 2018 at 10:53:51 AM

E

Thanks for the response. When I wrap my fig, it first goes dormant (loses leaves) and it stays wrapped until spring when it leafs out again. Will the olive react the same way or would I have to cover and uncover it over the entire winter depending on temps?  It dips to single digits here for brief periods at night for a few days at a stretch every winter. Otherwise hovers in the 25-35 range for lows most of the winter.

Posted by Eric Deaver on Feb. 09, 2018 at 11:08:58 AM

Eric, well it kind of depends on what variety of olive you have. As stated in the article above, most olives will be damaged by temps lower than 17F and will most likely die below 10F. I think you would be ok to wrap it and keep it wrapped.

Posted by Suzanne at GrowOrganic.com on Feb. 09, 2018 at 11:16:11 AM

I live in zone 8, in atlanta GA. Since moving here in 2013, we see periods in early winter where the night time temperature has gotten as low as 15 degrees F for a few days with daily highs in the mid 20’s. Our arbequina olives are potted. So I am assuming that we should bring them inside when temperatures are expected to dip into the low 30’s?

Posted by charles on Feb. 27, 2018 at 6:35:49 AM

Charles, you can either bring your trees inside or wrap them with a frost blanket. 15 degrees is really low and you may get damage to the tree at those temps.

Posted by Suzanne at GrowOrganic.com on Feb. 28, 2018 at 4:16:34 PM

D

This is my first winter with an olive tree.(potted) It flourished outside all summer and fall but its been dropping leaves all winter inside no matter what I do. It barely has any healthy leaves remaining. Its in a room with plenty of sunlight. Is it normal to drop leaves?  The tiny branches that are now bare are also brittle like tbey are dead. Any tips for me? I’m afraid it won’t last another month.

Posted by Derek on Mar. 08, 2018 at 6:31:27 PM

Derek, what kind of olive tree and what zone do you live in? Sounds like your tree is very stressed. How much are you watering the tree? You don’t want to over water the tree.

Posted by Suzanne at GrowOrganic.com on Mar. 24, 2018 at 4:52:00 PM

D

It is an Arbequina.  I’m in zone 6 in Southern Pennsylvania.  I started out watering very little and it did not do well.  The last month I watered more often and it has not changed.  I’m hoping to get it outside in the next couple weeks.

Posted by Derek on Mar. 24, 2018 at 5:44:53 PM

Derek, Zone 6 is pretty cold for growing an olive unless you have a heated greenhouse. Good luck.

Posted by Suzanne at GrowOrganic.com on Mar. 26, 2018 at 8:58:00 AM

I’m in central New Jersey, zone 7A. Will it be possible to grow an Arbequina olive tree in-ground in this zone?

Posted by max on Apr. 04, 2018 at 10:26:00 PM

Max, it is possible, but you should follow some of the suggestions in this article. It will be more work and you will need to be dedicated to taking care of the olive during the winter months.

Posted by Suzanne at GrowOrganic.com on Apr. 06, 2018 at 9:02:36 AM