- Planting & Care
- Useful Information
- Shipping Information
PLEASE READ THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION
When placing your bare root orders, please be aware that AS SOON as the trees/plants are available to ship (Dec. for trees, Jan. for plants), we will begin shipping IMMEDIATELY - no matter where you are located !!!
There are several factors why we must ship immediately:
- We can only ship bare root items when they are dormant. With us being located in CA, trees/plants can come out of dormancy well before the rest of the nation is ready to plant.
- We receive our bare root items in successive deliveries. We need to move them out quickly, as our space is limited.
- It is very challenging, if not impossible, to keep track of who gets what when dealing with ten's of thousands of trees/plants and 200 varieties over 3 months, hence we must adhere to our policy.
ATTENTION "POLAR VORTEX" AFFECTED CUSTOMERS
When your order arrives, you should remove it from the outside elements before nightfall. If you will not be present at the destination when the order will be delivered, you should either ship the order to another location or make sure someone will be there to take care of your order.
While your order is hardy enough to withstand freezing temperatures in its box, you definitely should not leave it outside in sub-zero temperatures for days on end.
AS IMPORTANTLY, you then need to open the box, remove the trees/plants from their plastic bag, store them in a basement, cellar or garage, covering their roots with sand, dirt, sawdust or wood chips (do not use cedar that is toxic to the trees) and keep them moist until you are able to plant them in the ground in Spring.
- Latin Name: Vaccinium corymbosum x V. angustifolium - The Patio Blueberry
- Plant Age: 2 Years
- Zones: 3-7
- Chill Hours: 1000+
- Harvest: Mid-season.
- Bush Habit: Globe shaped bush reaching 1–2' tall with orange and yellow foliage in fall.
- Fruit: Small, wild flavored berries.
- Facts of note: Top Hat is a perfect name for this dwarf cultivar as it grows 1–2' high and wide. Top Hat is the result of crossing a short stature Highbush with a compact, small Lowbush Blueberry. Plentiful white blooms in spring give way to attractive light blueberries that are pea sized and larger. Top Hat is perfect for defined border plantings or growing in patio containers. It also makes an excellent candidate for a bonsai project. Comes in a 3.5" pot.
Delicious, exceptionally nutritious, high in bioflavanoids. Consider climate suitability, ripening season and fruit size when selecting varieties and include at least two different varieties for cross–pollination and fruiting (any two varieties will do, regardless of ripening time). Grow in acidic, well-drained soil. Cottonseed meal is an excellent fertilizer for blueberries along with good quality compost and peat moss.
Check out our Fruit Harvest Chart to plan for successive harvests.
- Container Compatible
Cannot ship to the following states: HI, AK, PR, GU, VI
Cannot ship via USPS.
Cannot ship via SmartPost.
Shipping Weight: 3.0 lb
Dimensions: 14"L x 3"W x 3"H