- ½ Cup Walnut Halves
- ½ Cup Fresh Chopped Spinach
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Chopped Sage Leaves (for a colorful pesto, try purple sage)
- 1 Large Garlic Clove, minced
- 4 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¾ Tsp. Salt
- ¼ Tsp. Pepper
- 1/6 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/6 Cup Shredded Swiss Cheese
- ¼ Cup Water, or as needed (save water and add flavor by using the water from cooked pasta)
Number of Servings :6
In a blender, pulverize the walnuts. Add spinach, sage, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth. Add cheeses and water. Blend until creamy.
This pesto is thinner than most store-bought pestos, making it easier to toss with pasta. However, if you like a thicker pesto, just add less water.
You can easily swap out any ingredient for one with similar qualities (basil for sage, parsley for spinach, other hard cheeses for Parmesan and/or Swiss, other nuts for walnuts). The recipe can also be doubled, halved, quartered... Store extra pesto in the fridge for two weeks, or freeze for long term storage.
Recommended serving suggestion: toss with whole wheat linguine, chopped tomatoes, and pitted Kalamata olives.