Welcome to our cozy corner of the culinary world! Today, we're going to dive into the delightful process of making a classic dessert - Pumpkin Pie, but with a healthy twist. We're using organic pumpkins to ensure the purest, most natural flavors envelop your senses.
Our Favorite Pumpkins for Baking.
Small Sugar Pumpkin
The Small Sugar Pumpkin is a classic, deep orange pumpkin that's relatively small, usually weighing between 4 to 6 pounds. It's known for its sweet taste and fine-grained texture. The small size and sweet flesh make it perfect for baking, as it yields a smooth and flavorful puree that's ideal for pies.
The Cinderella Pumpkin is distinctive with its deeply ribbed, flattened shape and vivid red-orange color. Larger than the Small Sugar variety, it offers a rich, slightly nutty flavor. Its high sugar content and creamy texture make it a great choice for baking, adding a unique taste and texture to pumpkin pies.
To begin, let’s gather the ingredients:
Organic Pumpkin Puree:
- 2 cups of homemade puree from organic pumpkins (preferably small sugar pumpkins for their sweet taste).
- Place the scooped pumpkin flesh into a food processor or blender.
- Blend until smooth. If the mixture seems too dry, you can add a tablespoon of water to help it blend better.
- For an extra smooth texture, you can strain the puree through a fine mesh sieve to remove any remaining stringy parts.
- You can use a store-bought crust, or make one from scratch with organic flour, cold butter, a pinch of salt, and ice water
- 3/4 cup organic brown sugar or a substitute like organic maple syrup
- 1 cup of organic whole milk or a plant-based alternative like almond milk
- 2 large organic, free-range eggs
- 1 teaspoon of organic cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of organic ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of organic ground cloves or allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
For Serving (Optional):
- Organic whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Preparing the Pumpkin
Cook the Pumpkin:
- Cut the pumpkin into halves, scoop out the seeds, and place it face down on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F for about 45-60 minutes or until the flesh is tender.
- Once cooled, scoop out the flesh and blend it into a smooth puree.
Making the Pie
Prepare the Pie Crust:
- Roll out your pie crust and lay it gently into a 9-inch pie dish. Trim and crimp the edges.
- For a pre-baked crust, prick the bottom with a fork and bake at 375°F for about 10 minutes.
Mix the Filling:
- In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, milk, eggs, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt.
- Whisk everything together until smooth and well combined.
Bake the Pie:
- Pour the filling into the pie crust.
- Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350°F and continue baking for another 45 minutes or until the filling is set and the crust is golden.
Cool and Serve:
- Let the pie cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve with a dollop of organic whipped cream or a side of vanilla ice cream.
There you have it – a heartwarming, organic pumpkin pie that's perfect for any occasion, be it a family gathering, a holiday celebration, or just a cozy night in. This pie is not just a treat for the taste buds but also a nod to healthier, more conscious eating. Happy baking and enjoy your homemade delight!
Start today! See our pumpkin seeds for sale.