- Planting & Care
- Useful Information
- Shipping Information
- Latin Name: Lycium barbarum
- Zones: 3-10
- Harvest: Mid-Summer through first frost.
- Bush Habit: Unpruned it grows to between 10 and 13 feet tall with a spread of 4 feet. It has upright sprouts with long lateral branches with a weeping habit.
- Fruit: Red to red-orange berries
- Facts of note: This is sold as a root crown cutting. It may just look like a stick, do not be alarmed, this is normal and once planted growth will soon start on the root crown. Goji berries are easy to grow, container adaptable and drought tolerant. They do require alkaline soil with a pH between 6.8 and 8.1. Do not apply any nitrogen and they really don't need any fertilizer. The Phoenix Tears variety was discovered in 2004 on a ranch in western Utah near the historic site of a transcontinental railroad camp where primarily Chinese workers resided. The mother plant is thought to be a chance seedling planted by accident back in the days of the transcontinental railroad construction. Phoenix Tears is a productive, almost thornless variety of goji berry.
Long-prized for their health benefits, goji berries are loaded with antioxidants and have high concentrations of vitamin B, C, and amino acids. They are often made into juice, herbal teas or eaten fresh as a snack in trail mix. Dried goji berries are popular snacks.
These plants are easy to grow in your own backyard. They will fruit and flower throughout the summer until the first frost. If left unpruned, they can grow as tall as 10-13 feet with a spread of about 4 feet.
Also known as wolfberries or lycium barbarum, are hardy plants that are drought tolerant and grow in zones 3-10 . A brightly colored orange/red fruit with a slightly sour flavor, they are considered a superfood because they are believed to boost the immune system and brain activity, protect against heart disease and cancer, and improve life expectancy.
For successful growth, is critical that the soil pH remain at 6.8 or higher. High nitrogen is not recommended for these plants. One year old root crown cuttings.
- Container Compatible
- Drought Tolerant
- Plant Spreads
- Somewhat Drought Tolerant
Cannot ship to the following states: AK, HI, PR, GU, VI
Cannot ship via USPS.
Cannot ship via SmartPost.
Shipping Weight: 0.36 lb
Dimensions: 6.0"L x 3.0"W x 3.0"H