- Planting & Care
- Useful Information
- Shipping Information
Medicago sativa Perennial legume cover crop.
Popular hay plant great for cover cropping on fertile soils (alfalfas do not like acidic soils) with fair to good drainage. Good for high desert areas of Western states, northern California valleys, lower elevations of Four Corners area, and northern half of Gulf Coast states. Zone 8.
- Application Rate: 0.5-1 lb/1000 sq ft or 25 lb/acre
- Inoculant: None needed, is nitrocoated
- Germination: 5-10 Days
- Plant Height: 18-24"
- Uses: Hay, forage, beneficial insect habitat, bee forage, nitrogen fixing.
- Facts to Note: Plant shallowly in early fall or spring. Yields up to 10 tons of organic matter per acre, and brings subsurface minerals to the surface. Suitable for 3-5 year rotations. Can fix 200 lb Nitrogen/acre if given adequate Phosphorus, Calcium, and Sulfur. Requires summer irrigation and produces the most growth in warm weather.
Note to Certified Organic Growers: All our cover crop seed is untreated, non-GMO seed. This is conventional seed, but all seeds are coated with Nitro-Coat Organic, which is an OMRI listed coating. This coating uses all organic ingredients: the proper rhizobacteria, a Calcium Carbonate coating that is naturally water absorbing to speed seed germination, and an OMRI listed organic adhesive.
- Attracts Bees/Butterflies
- Attracts Beneficial Insects
- Fixes Nitrogen
- Good for Forage/Hay
- Loosens Heavy Soils
- Requires Summer Water
- Tolerates Mowing/Grazing
Shipping Weight: 1.1 lb
Dimensions: 8.0"L x 5.0"W x 1.5"H