Plant a warm weather cover crop to choke out weeds, produce organic matter, fix nitrogen or reduce erosion and dust in orchards or vineyards.
What are the benefits of cover crops?
- Increases organic matter and available nitrogen
- Increases earthworms and beneficial microorganisms
- Stabilizes soil to prevent erosion
- Brings deep-rooted minerals to the surface
- Improves water, root and air penetration of soil
- Increases the soil’s moisture-holding capacity
- Breaks up subsoil and plow-soles
- Provides habitat, nectar, and pollen for beneficial insects while choking out weeds