- Planting & Care
- Useful Information
- Shipping Information
- Country of Origin: Spain
- Zones: 8b - 10b
- Looks: A vigorous plant with an expansive crown. This variety has an open shape and branches in a square rectangular pattern. The small branches have leaves at close spacing that are elliptical-lanceolate in shape and of a brilliant green color.
- Personality: The fruit of medium size (2-4 grams) is elliptical in shape with a pointed oblique tip. The drupes picked black furnish an oil that is considered to be of very good quality in Spain.
- Facts of note: An early producer with high constant yields. A rustic cultivar that adapts to diverse environmental conditions with moderate cold tolerance. It reacts well to regenerative pruning because of its capacity to sprout new growth. An oil cultivar of a very high yield (23-28%). Maturation is early (November-December). Picual is the favorite oil cultivar in Spain.
- Pollenizer: Self-fruitful, often grown with Manzanilla, Uovo di Piccione or Gordal Sevillana
Olive trees come potted and are self-fruitful (produce both male and female flowers on the same tree). Even if a pollenizer is not required, mixing varieties may help increase yields. See suggested trees under "Pollenizer" for each variety. Evergreen, long-lived, beautiful ornamental with soft gray-green foliage. The ideal time of year to plant olives is in early fall. Alternately early spring is another good time of year to plant olives. The slow growing trees reach about 25’–30’ in maturity. Depending on the variety, olives should begin to produce fruit 2-4 years after planting.
Thrives in hot summers but will tolerate coastal regions too. Winter temperatures shouldn’t drop below 22°–25°F (green fruit will be damaged at 32°F), but average winter temperatures above 50°F will inhibit fruiting. Drought resistant trees grow in alkaline soils with little fertilization. Plan your planting location to provide good drainage.
The potted trees will be about 18"-36” tall from the bottom of the pot to the top of the tree, approximately 1/8”–1/4” diameter (measured just above the graft).
- Somewhat Drought Tolerant
- Suited to Warmer Climates
Cannot ship to the following states: FL, TX, AZ, OR, VA, AK, HI, PR, VI, GU
Up to 9 PottedTree may be combined in a single package, but cannot be combined with other items.
Shipping Weight: 4.5 lb
Dimensions: 47.9"L x 3.9"W x 3.9"H